of Parachute Exhibitions Worldwide
Including Past Events and Links to SignUps/Photos/Videos
• Mother Earth Sculpture Dedication, In attendance: Bonn Mayor Katja Dörner, Marina Ponti of the UN SDG Action Campaign and Dr. Heike Henn of the German Government, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
• MEP East Africa ZOOM Webinar – “Community Climate Change Resilience and Adaptation,” organized by Didier Nshimirimana, MEP East Africa Director
• World Environment Day – MEP India Webinar – Restoration and Ecosystems
• World Environment Day – Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty Webinar – MEP has endorsed the Fossil-Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty initiative
• Seble Samuel – Global Cities Campaign Lead at Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty Initiative, Ethiopian-Canadian geographer and story teller
• Sven Harmeling – International Climate Policy Coordinator, Climate Action Network Europe, Bonn-based volunteer EU Climate Pact Ambassador & P4F
• Earth Day ZOOM Call
• India, Jaipur – Earth Day at Patrika Gate with newly create parachutes
• Pakistan, Mardan – Climate March “Parachute Painting Competition,” organized by AWKUM Greens and Environmental Society
• India, Jaipur – Department of Geography’s International Webinar, Climate Change: Vision
• Kenya, Nairobi – Caroline Wambui is a journalist and has also worked in Parliament in Nairobi. She will be organizing a Parachute event with 30 young people to raise awareness about the climate emergency and also take their parachutes to the environment minister to discuss climate legislation.
• Mother Earth Project ZOOM Event – Speakers:
Cathy Orlando and daughter Sophia Mathur, Sudbury, CANADA
Didier Nhimirimana, BURUNDI
Sangeet Anand, BETHESDA, MARYLAND, USA
Daniel Villa and Janeen Provazek, TACOMA, WASHINGTON, USA
• Raleigh, North Carolina – Parachute Climate Events and Friday for the Future day and also still in Season of Creation and the UN International Nonviolence Day: • Nash Park at Noon–across from Raleigh City Council building, • Martin Luther King Jr. Park 1215 MLK Blvd. 12:30-1PM, • Pullen Baptist Church 1801 Hillsborough St. front sidewalk 1:30-2PM, • Globe at the Museum of Natural History 11 W. Jones St.. 2:30-3PM
• Mother Earth Project ZOOM Event
Meeting begins at 17:55 after initial meet and greet.
Over a dozen speakers from around the world spoke about environmental concerns in their respective communities as well as sustainable actions that they are taking. It was a great way to share info and feel a part of the global impact of the Mother Earth Project and its Parachutes For The Planet project.
Mother Earth Project Video of Parachute Communities showed during the above event
• World Day of Climate Action – Millions of Climate Activists and Environmentalists will join Greta to raise awareness of the ever worsening climate emergency on our planet.
• Bonn, Germany – Dedication Ceremony of Mother Earth sculpture with parachutes, music and speakers, including Dr. Martin Frick, Director of the Climate and Environment Division at the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and Sandra Prüfer, MEP Director for Germany
June 5, 5:30pm EST
• CitizenKid’s “Earth Comes First” will air on YTV’s The Zone on World Environment Day
• 50th Anniversary of Earth Day Green Drinks International ZOOM with a Presentation by MEP cofounder Barton Rubenstein. Article
March – April
• Chevy Chase, Maryland – MEP cofounders created a Bat Parachute, inspired by a Washington Post article that connects COVID-19 to the Climate Emergency. MEP also placed a box of free parachutes for neighbors to take, decorate with art, their environmental concerns, and next sustainable actions, this all during the COVID-19 stay at home lock-down. 100 Parachutes were distributed and displayed in the extended neighborhoods. More info here.
• India, Rajasthan, Jaipur – River Awareness Sustainability Event, 12 Parachutes on display
• Yaoundé, Cameroon – Mother Earth Sculpture Dedication
• New York City – Kallan Benson Acceptance Speech (on behalf of Fridays For Future) of UNEP Champions of the Earth Award
• Maryland – Wheaton Art Parade with Parachutes, 10am
• Washington, DC – John Marshall Park (4th and C Streets NW) at 11am, marching to US Capitol (west side)
• New York City – United Nations Building (100 Parachutes +) – WORLD CLIMATE STRIKE with Greta Thunberg’s Fridays For Future (Go to this website to register your strike!)
• Sierra Leone – CCL Chapter Director Alhassan Sesay organized Parachutes For The Planet® activities with the Sierra Leone School Green Club.
• Washington, DC – Strike with Greta! North Side of White House, 11-2pm
• Burundi – Parachutes For The Planet display event
• Guinée, Conakry – Parachutes For The Planet event
• Zimbabwe, Mutare – Schools Commemorative Day of Africa Child with Parachutes
• Germany, Bonn – World Renewable Energy Day in cooperation with international NGOs, rewewable energy advocates & FridaysForFuture.org during the UN Climate Conference in Bonn. The launch event takes place at the UN Campus (United Nations Plaza) with high-profile speakers, Ukranian singer Ruslana & other musicians AND a Parachutes for the Planet display.
• Germany, Bonn – Family March for Peace, Women & Human Rights and Climate Justice with Israeli Activist Yael Deckelbaum & The Mothers
• Montgomery County, Maryland – 1st Annual Climate Music and Art Festival (with 350.org), Piney Branch Elementary School, 7510 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park, Maryland, 10am – 2pm, large display of parachutes (in gym and all-purpose room). RSVP Here
• India, Rajasthan, Jaipur – World Environment Day, 5 Parachutes on display
May 24-30 and June 29
• Mali, Batako – Parachute Action (15) in the INNOV VILLAGE component of the upcoming Africa parade of Innovators Hii-FESTIVAL. Parliament Members, US Embassy and other Officials to be present.
Climate Strike with Fridays For Future and Parents4Future groups and parachutes in Bonn, Germany
• Bonn, Germany – Paint a Parachute together
• Victoria, British Columbia, Canada – Meetings with Parliament Members with 30 Parachutes
• Canada and WORLD – Fridays for Future Climate Strike with Parachutes with dozens of schools across Canada striking for better climate laws.
• Germany, Bonn – United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Festival of Action, World Conference Center. 17 Parachutes on display, one for each of the 17 SDGs.
• Nigeria, Kaduna State – Project on Climate Action. 5 Parachutes on display
• Montgomery County, Maryland Greenfest – Brookside Gardens with Parachutes
• Virginia, Leesburg – Girl Scouts Annual Meeting, Distribute 300 Parachutes
• Israel, Tel Aviv – Climate March, 18 parachutes and MEP Inflatable Booth at Meir Park
• Canada, Ontario – Breakfast with Members of Provincial Parliament at Queen’s Park,
Parachutes across Ontario will be on display
• Maryland, Rockville – VisArts Center – Parachute Painting for Greenfest (155 Gibbs Street)
• Sierra Leone, Freetown – Freetown Teachers College Parachute Sustainability Event
• Panama, Panama City – World Youth Day: The Pope comes to Central America and will be surrounded by 41 Parachutes, created by local religious and school groups.
• Zimbabwe – Seminar and Safe Cities Summit in the City of Mutare, attended by mining companies, extractive companies and industry. Many parachutes will be at this event.
• Canada, Sudbury, Ontario & Vancouver, British Columbia – Friday’s For Future Sudbury Rally, MP for Sudbury, Paul Lefebvre and MPP for Nickel Belt, France Gelinas and other adults played parachute games with the youth; Youth rally outside of the BC Environment Minister’s office
• Nigeria, Abuja – Parachutes & Arts for Climate for Senior Secondary Schools in FCT Abuja, Millennium Park Abuja, 9am – 4pm
• Canada, Toronto – Parliament of World Religions Conference – displayed Parachutes and participated in panel discussions
• Canada, Ontario, Sudbury – Friday’s For Future Lone Striker Sophia Mathur, 20 parachutes at Memorial Park, MP for Timmins James Bay Charlie Angus and other adults played parachute games with Sophia
October 29, 12-2pm
• Washington, DC – US Supreme Court, Parachutes in front of Supreme Court. This court is discussing the Juliana vs USA case (21 kids suing the US government about climate change).
October 29, 9-11am
• Washington, DC – Freedom Plaza, Parachutes across the street from DC Council Building. This council is voting on most ambitious climate bill in US, 100% carbon-neutral by 2032. Coordinated with CCL.
• Canada, Sudbury – Parliament Hill, Parachutes collected from across Canada
• Washington, DC – Mother Earth Project’s Parachutes For The Planet™ World Inaugural Exhibition, Georgetown Waterfront Park, 11am – 4pm
• Kenya, Nairobi – Climate Change Art Competition Award ceremony with 20-40 parachutes.
October – September
• California, Sunnyvale – Sunnyvale Community Center, Creative Arts Center, 550 East Remington Drive, Parachutes on Display
• Michigan, Grand Rapids – Lions and Rabbits, 10 – 2pm, Paint a Parachute
• Missouri, Missouri River Regional Library, Jefferson City – Parachute display for the Citizens’ Climate Lobby meeting
• Zero Hour Youth Climate March, in partnership with MEP, Citizens’ Climate Lobby, Sierra Club – Washington, DC on the National Mall at 12th St (and other sister city locations)
• Citizens’ Climate Lobby Sister Parachute Exhibitions – Ann Arbor, Michigan at City Hall, Indianapolis, Indiana, Canberra, Australia
• Washington, DC – First Parachute Exhibition – Citizens’ Climate International Conference and Lobby Day, Omni Shoreham Hotel Blue Room
• Nigeria, Lagos – World Environment Day Celebration, including government officials, members of parliament, labor unions, students and the general public. The project was executed by the Climate Aid Initiative.
• Canada, Ottawa – Earth Day Festival at Memorial Park
• Eugene, Oregon – Eugene School District 4J in collaboration with the EWEB Education Partnership
May and June
• Illinois, Geneseo – GHS Environmental Club Parachute on display at Public Library,805 N Chicago Street
• Sierra Leone – Freetown Teachers College (FTC), Jui, Freetown, (14 Parachutes from different schools)
May 18, 6pm – 7pm
• Maryland, Chevy Chase – Somerset ES 5th Grade Environmental Art and Parachute Exhibition, Town Hall, 4510 Cumberland Ave
April 20, Earth Day
• Providence, Rhode Island – Providence Montessori School students sing with their parachute at Earth Day concert
• Cameroon, Yaoundé – Mother Earth sculpture installed in park near Catholic University
• Israel, Jerusalem – Mother Earth sculpture installed in Bloomfield Gardens next to the King David Hotel
• Washington, DC – The Big Build at the National Building Museum – MEP Inflatable Booth major debut
• China, Guilin – Mother Earth sculpture installed at Boya Academy
• Climate March Worldwide – Kallan Benson marches in DC with her 24′ diameter butterfly parachute with 1600 student signatures (first parachute of the Parachute For The Planet™ project).
• Washington, DC – Mother Earth Sculpture Dedication in Georgetown
The MEP’s Inaugural Dedication took place on Climate March Day next to the Mother Earth sculpture in Washington, DC, along the Potomac River.
• Washington, DC – First Mother Earth sculpture installed in Georgetown along the Potomac River
• Washington, DC – American University Katzen Center – First public lecture about the Mother Earth Project – MEP Inflatable Booth debut