To raise awareness of people living sustainable lives and affected by climate change, Mother Earth Project is encouraging individuals, schools, and communities around the world to create PARACHUTES FOR THE PLANET™
(click a button below)
“I am so grateful for this project. It is beautiful and it is going to change the world. I have no doubts.”
– Cathy Orlando, Citizens’ Climate Lobby International Outreach Manager
(Choose your language in the above video by clicking the Settings button at bottom right)
Saving the environment is vital to our health, safety and future, and “parachutes” are a metaphor for this process. These parachutes (non-functional) are circular pieces of cloth decorated with artwork and personal comments about our concerns about the health of our planet. Parachutes can be seen as “safety nets” and when held by groups during demonstrations or collectively displayed in large numbers, they transform into powerful messages of strength, hope and communal determination.
In the 1990s, thousands of HIV/AIDS Quilts (blankets) were exhibited in Washington, DC, to bring attention to a disease that was previously not understood. The result of this exhibition was dramatic – people became more aware and governments began to fund research to find a cure. Using artwork and comments displayed on parachutes, the Mother Earth Project hopes to accomplish similar goals for saving the environment.
Make Your Parachute:
Those communities that need parachute funding, please contact us: TheMotherEarthProject@gmail.com. (Large groups can buy a 24′ nylon parachute on Amazon.) These parachutes have handles which are great for marches and exhibitions.
How To Decorate Your Parachute:
• Large Central Image – local landmark, animal, sustainable theme
• Large Text – for example: “Better Climate Laws!”
• Small Artwork and Individual Comments (how you are living sustainably, how your local environment has been affected by climate change, and a message of hope)
• Display Name and Location Along Edge
• Paint and Markers -Use permanent markers (they make recycled ones now!), latex house paint and acrylic paint are great choices for decorating your parachute, but make sure to thin the paint with water so that it is not too thick, otherwise chipping could result later. If you choose to add photos, we recommend that you have them printed on fabric and then sewn onto the parachute. All materials sewn on the parachute must be as thin as possible and completely foldable. Glue and tape is not recommended.
Display Your Parachute Locally and Commit to Sustainable Actions:
SHARE YOUR PARACHUTE WITH LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND DEMAND BETTER CLIMATE LAWS!
This is easier to do than you think. Ask us for help!
Display your parachute in your local community to raise awareness about sustainability (for example your school, company, city government, neighborhood, or on your car).
WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO COMMIT TO WEEKLY SUSTAINABLE ACTIONS
It may be sharing the Parachutes For The Planet project with other schools and clubs, changing your light bulbs to LED, picking up 10 pieces of trash daily on the streets, switching to renewable energy, asking restaurants to change their plastic cups to paper (PLEASE!!), composting your food scraps, and using your bicycle more. There are MANY things you can do to help the planet!
Ship us Your Parachute As Soon As You Can
Send your parachute with your contact information to:
Mother Earth Project
PO Box 70922
Bethesda, Maryland 20813, USA
We will send you an email confirming that we received your parachute. Note: We will not be able to return your parachute, but will save it for future exhibitions.
Add Your Parachute to Our Database
We also encourage you to photograph your parachute and post it on social media to #MyParachute. You can create a Virtual Parachute by creating artwork or a simple written note about living sustainably or being affected by climate change and then post it to #MyParachute.
Remember, every voice counts!
There are many examples of parachutes on our social media (click Instagram, Facebook and Twitter icons at bottom). Each parachute (real or virtual) should include a LARGE CENTRAL IMAGE, SMALL ARTWORK and COMMENTS expressing how you live sustainably, are affected by climate change and a message of hope.